Note that it is exceedingly difficult to pinpoint the total fatalities from hurricanes (also known as cyclones in the northern Indian Ocean and typhoons in the western Pacific Ocean) due to the large number of people killed as well as problems in tabulating deaths in areas where these devastating storms strike.
1) November 1970 - Approximately 150,000-500,000 deaths - Bhola Cyclone - Bangladesh (at the time East Pakistan).
2) April 1991 - Approx. 131,000-138,000 deaths - Bangladesh.
3) May and June 1965 (two cyclones) - Approx. 60,000 deaths - Bangladesh (at the time East Pakistan).
4) October 1942 - Approx. 40,000 deaths - Bangladesh/India border (at the time all India).
5) May 1963 - Approx. 22,000 deaths - Bangladesh (at the time East Pakistan).
6) November 1977 - Approx. 10,000-20,000 deaths - Andhra Pradesh Cyclone - India.
7) October-November 1998 - Approx. 11,000-18,000 deaths - Hurricane Mitch - Central America.
8) September 1971 - Approx. 10,000 deaths - Orissa Cyclone - India.
9) October 1999 - Approx. 10,000 deaths - Cyclone 05B - India.
10) September 1900 - Approx. 8,000-12,000 deaths - Galveston, Texas, United States.