Since 1998, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport in the United States has been the world's busiest passenger airport. Beijing Capital International Airport, the world's second busiest airport, jumped from eighth place in 2008 to second place in 2010. The airport has seen an increase in 25 million passengers in the last five years! With such a rapid rate of growth, Beijing Capital International Airport is likely to surpass Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport as the world's busiest airport within a few years.
Numbers represent the number of passengers enplaned and deplaned with passengers in transit counted only once.
1. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport - 89,331,622
2. Beijing Capital International Airport - 73,948,113
3. O'Hare International Airport (Chicago) - 66,774,738
4. Heathrow Airport (London) - 65,884,143
5. Haneda Airport (Tokyo) - 64,211,074
6. Los Angeles International Airport - 59,070,127
7. Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport - 58,167,062
8. Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport - 56,906,610
9. Frankfurt Airport (Germany) - 53,009,221
10. Denver International Airport - 52,209,377
11. Hong Kong International Airport - 50,348,960
12. Madrid Barajas Airport - 49,844,596
13. Dubai International Airport (United Arab Emirates) - 47,180,628
14. John F. Kennedy International Airport (New York City) - 46,514,154
15. Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (Netherlands) - 45,211,749
16. Soekarno-Hatta International Airport (Jakarta, Indonesia) - 44,355,998 (new to the list)
17. Bangkok International Airport (Thailand) - 42,784,967
18. Singapore Changi Airport - 42,038,777
19. Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport (China) - 40,975,673 (new to the list)
20. Shanghai Pudong International Airport (China) - 40,578,621 (new to the list)
Airports that previously made the top twenty ranking list for busiest airports in 2008 but are not on the 2010 ranking of the busiest airports include: McCarran International Airport (Las Vegas), George Bush Intercontinental Airport (Houston), and Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.