1. Education
Matt Rosenberg

The Regions of the United States, Based on Phone Calls

By July 17, 2011

Call Data Community Map

Based on cellular phone data, the Senseable City Lab at MIT has created maps of connections between U.S. counties. The resulting regions of the United States are remarkable, as seen on the map. Some states are divided, such as New York, Pennsylvania, and Nevada while in other instances, the connections between two states is significant, such as Arizona-New Mexico, Oklahoma-Arkansas, Alabama-Georgia, Tennessee-Kentucky, and New England. The SMS data and map tends to show more localized regions. What are your thoughts? Share them below in the comments...

Join Me on Facebook | Follow Me on Twitter @mrgeog

Comments

July 17, 2011 at 5:49 pm
(1) KJHofPA says:

I would bet that the calling patterns would be better displayed is a gradual change in shading instead of a sudden and dramatic change from one color to another. For example, it appears from looking at the map that almost nobody in Oklahoma calls any one in Texas.

July 20, 2011 at 2:08 am
(2) Don Hirschberg says:

I donít have the foggiest idea what this map shows.

July 25, 2011 at 4:45 pm
(3) Win Barber says:

There was a short discussion thread about this same study, last week, on the general “United States” section of http://www.city-data.com/forum . By the way, I find city-data.com/forum to be a fascinating website.

July 25, 2011 at 5:44 pm
(4) Don Hirschberg says:

Yes Win, an interesting site but I still don’t understand the map. Too late I guess.

August 7, 2011 at 4:07 am
(5) Mary Donnelly says:

I agree with Don Hirschberg.

Where is the key to what the colors mean?

October 4, 2011 at 9:10 pm
(6) Dina Ryrooms says:

Not the easiest map to discern clearly.

August 7, 2011 at 6:57 pm
(7) Matt Rosenberg says:

Hi Don and Mary! I’m sorry if my post was confusing! Did you follow the link to the maps themselves? Each region of interconnectedness is a different color. -Matt

September 29, 2011 at 10:59 pm
(8) Karl Canning says:

I think it is pretty interesting. Shows (I think) that most friends and relatives live close and most business is done “locally.”

May 9, 2012 at 2:16 am
(9) my site says:

hello!,I love your writing very much! percentage we keep in touch extra approximately your post on AOL? I require an expert on this house to unravel my problem. May be that’s you! Looking ahead to see you.