1. Education
Matt Rosenberg

Will Global Warming Make Us More Aggressive?

By April 4, 2010

Living in Los Angeles, it seems to me as though the population (especially drivers) is already aggressive enough. Unfortunately, researchers are predicting that aggressiveness will increase as global temperature rises. According to the article, "[I]f the average temperature in the U.S. increases by 8 degrees Fahrenheit (4.4 degrees Celsius), the country's murder and assault rate will jump by about a hundred thousand cases a year." I've added it to the list of disadvantages to global warming.

Comments

April 4, 2010 at 1:28 pm
(1) Siddharth says:

Wow! That is a big disadvantage to global warming.

April 4, 2010 at 1:58 pm
(2) Chris says:

Ok, let’s see….. Is there further explanation for this issue? I just don’t understand how these things are related… From Lima, Peru… Chris

April 4, 2010 at 11:55 pm
(3) sopa says:

Like Chris from Lima, I need clarification on the linkages between rising temperatures and ‘social disorder’.

TABUBIL
Papua New Guinea
South Pacific

April 5, 2010 at 7:35 am
(4) Wendy says:

I have seen stats that show an increase in social disorder on nice days compared to rainy cold days in a community but to link it all to global warming, give me a break.

April 5, 2010 at 10:15 am
(5) Gonzo says:

Pease be advised that global warming is NOT anthropogenic. The present warming cycle has been in process for over 12,000 years.

April 5, 2010 at 10:26 am
(6) hem says:

If global warming were to increase by 4 degrees, as a sociologist, i would say tempers are bound to flare, esp amongst the low middle class and more so in less developed countries where access to air conditioning is limited and people eke out a livelihood in the open.

This will happen only if the sea levels dont rise and kill us already ‘cos 4 degree rise globally is massive in nature!

April 5, 2010 at 11:26 am
(7) Michael says:

Why are you presuming that global warming is a real problem? Just because the UN says so? Most data informs us that instead of experiencing global warming we are experiencing something we call “weather”.

April 8, 2010 at 11:29 am
(8) Steven Cugley says:

How can something like temperature affect murderous impulses? Global warming is more likely to raise death rates through civil disorder and massive displacement of coastal populations.

April 9, 2010 at 8:17 am
(9) DougS says:

Has anyone ever noticed how crime rates go way down in the middle of a cold wave and/or blizzard? Yet I’ve never read claims that global cooling may reduce criminal behavior rates in society. If true, just think how well-behaved everyone will be during a nuclear winter. We’ll all get along! What more could you ask for in life? (By the way, there is a bit of sarcasm in my tone in case you missed it.)

July 12, 2011 at 4:16 pm
(10) Connor says:

why would a temperature change make people more aggressive?

September 4, 2011 at 12:42 pm
(11) locadiah says:

so what should be done to solve this problem of global warming

September 4, 2011 at 12:46 pm
(12) locadiah says:

if its too cold they can change because the temperature will not be in line with their body temperature

December 6, 2011 at 1:01 pm
(13) MidnightsStar says:

Guys, different people have different opinions. What will really happen is going to happen, and what isn’t won’t. Some of you sound like you are ranting it all out – I understand, but it can make others unhappy, too.

As for me, I won’t take sides, but I’ve read a few comments people have posted here. I think that 4 degrees globally is a lot, if it actually happens. Weather might be the case, but whatever. We can all put in an effort to help keep global warming problems from being even possible, wouldn’t that reduce dispute?
Also, the thing about tempers…hot weather, I think, might make people annoyed. It makes them hot, which could make them sort of “get hot inside”, resulting in bad tempers. Do you get it? If it were me, I’d get mad at the temperature for being hot if it were really, really hot. Then, some people would try to get rid of some of that hotness by unleashing it on other people. And that’s what bad tempers are when they’re in action, no?

Thanks for listening.