1. Education
Matt Rosenberg

Vermont to Seek Independence?

By June 7, 2007

The idea of secession is gaining ground in Vermont, where thirteen percent of residents are serious about leaving the Union to form an independent country. That's up from eight percent last year. A secession conference is being planned at the state capitol to discuss the state's options. Secession is not prohibited in the U.S. Constitution although most analysts don't think such a thing could happen. The AP has more.

Comments

June 7, 2007 at 8:11 pm
(1) Catholicgauze says:

They sound more like upset liberals than anything else. And while secession is not prohibited by the constitution there was that whole “civil war” thing which my Southern geographer friends will never forget.

June 8, 2007 at 11:53 pm
(2) Michelle says:

Sounds more like upset Libertarians to me; wanting true freedom and a lot less government

June 9, 2007 at 3:50 pm
(3) Win Barber says:

No, it is New Hampshire that is Libertarian (the State motto “live free or die”) – pro-gun, no helmet laws, etc. Vermont is the opposite, from what I understand – they have a high level of govt. services.

June 11, 2007 at 2:11 pm
(4) Maxwell Shaw says:

You might want to check US vs. Texas 1869

June 11, 2007 at 2:15 pm
(5) maxwell Shaw says:

Texas vs. White 1869, ruled that secession IS unconstitutional.

June 12, 2007 at 1:54 pm
(6) John Page says:

California will be the first state to secede when it becomes a part of Mexico May 5th 2011, followed shortly by Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Nevada

June 13, 2007 at 5:26 pm
(7) John Abramson says:

Where did you get that? Alaska is going to secede next year or 2009

June 13, 2007 at 5:31 pm
(8) John Abramson says:

Where did you get that? Alaska is going to secede next year or 2009.

June 15, 2007 at 1:44 pm
(9) James Ervin says:

I wish people would stop referring to the “Constitution”, it has been replaced by the ‘PATRIOT ACT’. We now have less rights than our pre-Magna Carta ancestors. Cessession is the first step in annexation by Canada, at least then VT will have health care and be free of the Bush regime.
Concerning California, if the illegals were granted voting rights (cheap at $5000 each) 2011 might be about right for its return to Mexico. TX, AZ, NM, also? We could defeat Mexico again.
And…Would everybody stop calling the US a ‘democracy’, we are a “Capitalist Republic”. In the presence of Lobbyists, our votes are worthless. The war is not a war at all, is nothing more than raid on the treasury with the billionaires and Iraelis as the benefactors. And, terrorism, like the Media, the Government, and mainstream Religion have become just another tool in the preservation of the elitist status quo. We are doomed by politicians but may yet be saved by philosophers.
Is my grandads’ statue still in Benningtons town square? Sorry to ramble, I do write gospel, just opinion. James E

June 15, 2007 at 1:54 pm
(10) James Ervin says:

P.S. That last is a proof reading lapse: SHOULD BE: I do NOT write gospel; it could be a freudian slip/insight into my high opinion of myself. and I do not consider myself anti-semitic, more correctly (or politically uncorrectly) I am anti-Zionist. To me, the Israelis build their nation using the same model and method and predjudice as we Euros used in the conquest of America. Sorry to go so far off subject. j

August 5, 2007 at 5:55 pm
(11) stephen sehlhorst says:

in post number 4 and 5 if your the maxwell shaw that served on the uss kalamazoo please reply back

August 6, 2007 at 8:42 pm
(12) Get out of my country says:

I love this. They want to keep all their land and schools and all the fruits of the labours of AMERICANS, but sorry, we dont want anything to do with you. Sounds like ill take your toys and go home because you dont want to play fair. Just move a few miles north to Canada so we can stop harrassing you for not wanting to protect our kids via Jessica’s Law. Candada will probably love your ‘reform the child rapist so they can do it again’ mentaility.

May 14, 2009 at 11:11 am
(13) rudeboyrg says:

I currently live in Vermont. (not by choice. I had to move from NYC). I am embarrased to be a current resident of this state. It is a horrible place to live. Nothing but liberal hippy douche bags. Every day, I drive home from work, and I see them standing outside with protests signs: Impeach! (Impeach who? Bush is already gone ignoramous.), Had enough?! (Had enough of your shit? Yeah!), 911! Why did the towers REALLY fall down? (Too bad you weren’t in them when they did hippy).

Anyway, a large percentage of Vermonters hate the United States, are communists (we have a communist senator btw), are staunchly antisemitic, support terrorism, and want to secede from the “United States Empire”.

We have a lousy economy here. Technological progress is virtually non-existent. No major bank exists in Vermont. Most businesses are driven away because the hippy liberal communists keep boycotting them and proclaiming that we should all do business locally and shop at our local stores (the same shitty stores that gauge us by charging an arm and a leg for inferior products due to lack of competition). Most Vermonters here are lazy communist hippies who don’t wish to work but enjoy government assistance.

We have barely any descent telecommunications networks. And over all its a horrible place to live. I hate it with a passion.

However: I personally support secession. I think its a great idea. Vermont should definitely separate from the U.S. The state is an embarrassment to any civilized society. But please for heavens sakes just wait until I am able to move away first before you secede. Then you can go crawl under a rock and die for all I care.